Call for applications
AO Trauma Europe and Southern Africa: Stephan Perren AO Trauma Research Traveling Fellowship 2020
07 November 2019
Extended application deadline: January 31, 2020
The Stephan Perren AO Trauma Research Traveling Fellowship is intended to give young and enthusiastic researchers from Europe and Southern Africa with specific interest in trauma care the opportunity to visit the two following established research centres for two weeks each:
- AO Research Institute Davos (ARI) in Davos, Switzerland
- Julius Wolff Institute for Biomechanics and Musculoskeletal Regeneration in Berlin, Germany
The selected fellows can choose between two programs:
1. Fellows fine-tune and revise their own research proposals, get feedback from the experts at both institutions and prepare for grant submission. Submit your project proposal with your application and flesh out your project with the inputs from the experts.
2. Fellows get insight on research and discover possibilities for their own research ideas. You will get insights in the fields of preclinical services/infections; biomedical services; musculoskeletal regeneration and biomechanics.
With this fellowship, fellows gain deep insight into ongoing musculoskeletal system research, get acquainted with research methods and techniques, and become part of an international network of researchers and research institutes. With this experience, they can gain a clearer view on their preferred research domain and where they can start or continue their research activities.
AO Trauma aims to identify young and interested AO Trauma members from Europe and Southern Africa who participate in AO Trauma-funded research projects.
Successful applicants will complete a two-week visit at the AO Research Institute Davos (ARI) in Davos and a two-week visit at the Julius Wolff Institute in Berlin. The fellowship grant is CHF 4,000 as a lump sum to cover travel and lodging expenses for the four weeks. A final report of the fellowship must be sent to the AO Trauma Europe and Southern Africa Research Chairperson within one month after completing the visits.
Possible fellowship periods
- April 20–30, 2020 at AO Research Institute Davos and May 4–15, 2020 at Julius Wolff Institute for Biomechanics and Musculoskeletal Regeneration
- October 5–16, 2020 at AO Research Institute Davos and October 19–30, 2020 at Julius Wolff Institute for Biomechanics and Musculoskeletal Regeneration
Criteria for application
- Young (younger than 45 years) and enthusiastic researchers with specific interest in trauma care
- Surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, trauma surgeon or surgeon in training
- AO Trauma member residing in one of the AO Trauma Europe and Southern Africa countries
- Attended an AO Trauma Basic and Advanced Principles course
- Initial experience with clinical and basic research activities; first authorship of a clinical or basic research article; or involvement in a project in the field of musculoskeletal trauma or diseases
- Personal letter of application with argumentation of initiative and description of preferred professional career
- Letters of recommendation from an AO country council member of your country and from the chief of department
- Optional: Submit a project proposal; you can revise and rework on your proposal during your stay and get valuable feedback from the experts.
After completing this fellowship, qualified applicants have the possibility of becoming a long-term fellow in one of the institutes.
Application at the following link. Only complete applications can be considered.
Deadline for applications: January 31, 2020
For further information, please contact email@example.com.
Chairperson, AO Trauma Europa and Southern Africa Research Committee