AO Trauma election year 2019
15 October 2019
2019 is an important election year for AO Trauma International. The following prestigious chairperson positions are now open for applications:
AO Trauma Education Commission (AOTEC) chairperson (succession of Wa’el Taha, starting July 2021)
AO Trauma Research Commission (AOTRC) chairperson (succession of Berton Roy Moed, starting July 2021)
The AO Trauma Education Commission (AOTEC) and AO Trauma Research Commission (AOTRC) are the highest education and research governance bodies of AO Trauma globally. The commissions are constituted by the chairpersons of the five related regional committees (Asia Pacific, Europe and Southern Africa, Latin America, Middle East and Northern Africa, and North America).
The commission chairpersons are full members of the AO Trauma International Board (AOTIB). The roles also include membership of the according AO platform (AO Education platform and AO Research and Development platform, respectively).
We encourage all AO Trauma members who fulfill the eligibility criteria to apply for these important positions. As an AO Trauma commission chairperson, you will be able to actively shape the future success of AO Trauma globally.
The application phase ends on November 8, 2019. The voting will be completed and ratified on November 30, 2019. The election results will be confirmed during the AO Trauma International Board meeting on December 1, 2019. The results will be published on the AO Trauma website in December 2019.
Terms of office AOTEC chairperson
The term of the current AOTEC Chairperson Wa'el Taha (Saudi Arabia) will end on June 30, 2021. Based on the AOTEC Terms of Reference, the terms of the new AOTEC chairperson will be as follows:
- July 1, 2020–June 30, 2021: one (1) year term as AOTEC chairperson-elect
- July 1, 2021*–June 30, 2025: four (4) years term as AOTEC chairperson
Terms of office AOTRC chairperson
The term of the current AOTRC chairperson Berton Roy Moed (US) will end on June 30, 2021. Based on the AOTRC Terms of Reference, the terms of the new AOTRC Chairperson will be as follows:
- July 1, 2020–June 30, 2021: one (1) year term as AOTRC chairperson-elect
- July 1, 2021*–June 30, 2025: four (4) years term as AOTRC chairperson
Eligibility for the chairperson positions
In order to be considered for nomination by the AO Trauma Nomination Committee (NomCom), candidates must be paying AO Trauma members, and fulfill one of the following criteria:
- Be a current or past member of any AO Trauma global commission (Education, Research or Community Development), or
- Be a current or past member of any AO Trauma regional board (Asia Pacific, Europe and Southern Africa, Latin America, Middle East and Northern Africa and North America).
In addition, candidates must fulfill the requirements specified in the referenced job description (see attachment). A same function can only be held once by the same person.
Electorate and voting mechanism
Based on the AOTEC and AOTRC Terms of Reference, the following voting mechanism applies:
- Electorate: voting members of the AOTIB
- Each voting member has one (1) vote.
- The electorate will be informed by e-mail. The votes will be cast anonymously through the AO Trauma e-voting mechanism.
Nomination and electoral process
- All interested and qualified candidates must submit their curriculum vitae and a letter of intent by e-mail to AO Trauma International Executive Director Tobias Hüttl (firstname.lastname@example.org), by midnight (Zurich time), November 8, 2019 midnight.
- The NomCom will review all applications and approve the eligible candidates by November 15, 2019.
- The election will run from November 16 to November 27, 2019.
- The election process is carried out according to the first-past-the-post logic:
- Multiple runoff electronic voting process through the AO Trauma event room.
- If a candidate reaches an absolute majority in any round, he/she is elected.
- The candidate with the least votes is eliminated after each round.
- Another round is carried out if no candidate reaches an absolute majority.
- The elected candidate has to be confirmed by the AOTIB on December 1, 2019.
- The NomCom will then ratify the election process, inform the candidates of the election outcome, and announce the result on the AO Trauma website.
Download job descriptions
Kodi Kojima (Chairperson AOTIB)
Roy Berton Moed (Chairperson AOTRC)
Wa’el Taha (Chairperson AOTEC)