AO Trauma Ukraine celebrates ten years
AO Trauma Ukraine celebrated its ten-year anniversary during the traditional AO Trauma masters seminar and the annual AO MID retreat.
14 October 2019
Group photo, AO Trauma Masters Seminar, September 5–6, 2019, in Kyiv, Ukraine
A highly motivated group of 127 people—a higher-than-expected number—took part in the AO Trauma Masters Seminar—Actual questions and possible options in fracture treatment, September 5–6, 2019, in Kyiv, Ukraine. The seminar was followed by the annual MID retreat, an event that drew 22 representatives from 17 countries, and also celebrated this year ten years of AO Trauma in Ukraine.
The primary goals of the retreat were planning of future events and development of the middle and eastern European countries and Israel. The retreat was also an opportunity to look back at AO Trauma Ukraine’s history, beginning with the first AO basic principles courses in Kyiv in 2007. Other milestones in Ukraine’s history with the AO and AO Trauma include:
- The first international faculty teams at AO courses in the country in 2008, 2009, and 2010
- Creation of the Ukraine section of the AO Alumni Association in 2009
- Fifteen AO basic principles courses in Ukraine between 2007 and 2019
- Five advanced principles courses in the country between 2009 and 2018
- Three special courses: foot and ankle trauma (2016), hand trauma (2017), and geriatric fractures (2019)
- Twelve thematic AO seminars with top international lecturers between 2011 and 2019
- Eleven regional seminars between 2012 and 2019
- AO faculty involvement in establishment of national guidelines for treatment of injured patients in Ukraine
Additionally at the retreat, two new countries, Armenia and Azerbaijan, were welcomed into the region upon an unanimous vote at the retreat.