AO Surgery Reference launches two new pediatric modules
16 February 2021
The new femoral shaft module comprises treatments depending on fracture type and patient age: casting, elastic stable intramedullary nailing, locked intramedullary nailing, external fixation, and plating.
In the distal femur module, the management of all relevant metaphyseal and epiphyseal fracture types is covered with procedures for immobilization and fixation with K-wires, screws, and/or plates.
Both modules, authored by Arnold Besselaar, Daniel Green, and Andrew Howard with James Hunter and Fergal Monsell as editors, provide additional knowledge about:
- Patient assessment
- Patient preparation (including draping, C-arm position, and operating room setup)
- Complications and technical failures
- Anatomy (bony and neurovascular)
As part of its continuing efforts, the AO Surgery Reference team is currently working on the production of:
- The pediatric distal tibia module (authors: Daniel Green, Philip Henman, and Mamoun Kremli, and editors Fergal Monsell and James Hunter)
- The second periprosthetic module (authors: Michael Huo, Michael Leslie, and Derek Donegan, and editor Michael Baumgaertner) covering the knee joint
The following adult trauma modules are under revision and will be relaunched in 2021:
- Proximal femur
- Distal humerus