Hand and wrist
Hand and wrist injuries constitute a substantial part of all treated injuries. AO Trauma's hand and wrist education taskforce has defined competencies relevant to your practice needs and is working on a comprehensive curriculum.
Hand and wrist education taskforce
The hand and wrist education taskforce is a group of experts who build and continuously improve our educational program. It consists of three international program editors (IPEs).
- Hand and wrist specialists early in their career
- Generalists (orthopedics) spending about 20 percent of their time on trauma (including community surgeons)
- Hand and wrist experts
- Trauma surgeons
- Perform pre-treatment assessment including physical examination, patient history including comorbidities
- Order and interpret imaging, classify skeletal and soft-tissue injury
- Decide on appropriate treatment based on skillset and available resources
- Apply the necessary soft-tissue repair techniques
- Correct any skeletal deformity and apply appropriate internal or external stabilization using the instruments and tools correctly
- Evaluate and address unexpected outcomes
- Develop and implement a rehabilitation and follow-up plan