Competency-based education for operating room personnel
Operating room personnel education taskforce
The operating room personnel education taskforce is a group of experts who build and continuously improve our educational program. It consists of four international program editors (IPEs).
All operating room personnel involved in operative fracture management:
Our main course offering is the Basic Principles of Fracture Management for ORP, a competency-based course with hands-on practical exercises, case discussions and short, focused lectures.
Search AOTrauma courses for ORP worldwide.
In addition, a series of clinical training modules (CTM) for ORP are available: CTMs are short educational sessions of 2.5 to 3.5 hours, which support ORP with their continuing nursing education at the point-of-care (hospital).
Handouts on selected course topics (English)
The following handouts for course participants have been prepared for selected lectures in the AOTrauma Basic Principles of Fracture Management for ORP course:
Intracapsular fractures of the femoral neck
Tension band fixation
Intertrochanteric femoral fractures
Osteosynthesis involving a joint
Bone anatomy and healing
Principals of fracture fixation
Screws – form and function
Plates – form and function
How to read x-rays
How to read x-rays
The AOTrauma curriculum for ORP is based upon 8 competencies:
- Ensure that the patient is adequately prepared for the procedure
- Prepare and maintain the optimal intra-operative environment and surgical field
- Demonstrate and ensure optimal communication and successful teamwork
- Position the patient to allow best surgical access whilst maintaining the patient’s safety
- Define the basic principles of fracture fixation and biology to ensure effective nursing management of the procedure
- Demonstrate correct use of instruments and proper surgical application
- Promote standards of best practice for occupational health and safety